FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
简介The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued ...
The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued management advisories to the National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives after losing approximately 50.1 billion won ($37.5 million) it poured into an alternative high-yield overseas investment, as revealed by industry sources on Sunday.
The NFFC, the umbrella organization for regional fishers' cooperatives throughout the country, reportedly lost the entire principal amount of its investment without taking any further action, raising concerns over the federation's investment and risk assessment practices.
Upon evaluation, the FSS issued to the NFFC advisories concerning nine matters requiring caution and five matters needing improvement to bolster the federation’s due diligence procedures for foreign investments.
In 2018, the NFFC made an overseas investment valued at $40 million dollars. By 2021, due to borrower defaults, NFFC saw impairment losses of $21.3 million in 2020 and an additional $16.5 million in 2021.
Thus, the NFFC recorded the entire 50.1 billion won investment as a loss.
The FSS highlighted NFFC's shortcomings in risk assessment, noting issues like an inappropriate loan-to-value ratio and the absence of documents verifying business progress. The regulator emphasized that the NFFC lacked accountability and measures to prevent recurrence following the failed investment.
In addition to the investment advisories, the FSS suggested improvements in the cooperative federation's risk management, particularly addressing sudden cash outflows and asset-liability mismatches.
The FSS also criticized the categorizing of nine NFFC cooperative loans for solar power projects as "normal" although construction had been stopped.
The FSS further reprimanded the NFFC for its internal controls. Although in 2014, the FSS had recommended a compulsory leave system that requires that key employees be granted leaves of up to five days during audits to detect financial discrepancies, the NFSC hasn't ordered such leaves.
Posco Group will hold a board meeting next month possibly to start its search for its new chairperso ...
The Hyegwang Blind Orchestra prioritizes inclusiveness to ensure that people with visual disabilitie ...
정부가 팔레스타인 무장정파 하마스의 공격으로 무력 충돌이 벌어지고 있는 이스라엘에 특별여행주의보를 내렸다. 사진은 박진 외교부 장관이 주이스라엘 한국대사관 관계자 등이 참석해 개최 ...
Seoul shares open higher despite US losses
[Photo News] Floral Butterfly
S. Korea finishes 3rd with 42 gold medals at Hangzhou Asian Games
S. Korea sweeps up 2 gold medals at stake in recurve team events
S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
Asiana may ditch cargo business to close Korean Air merger deal
- 6 pct of executives in S. Korea's top 100 firms women: data
- [Herald Interview] Cha Seung
- PKM Gallery sheds light on Toby Ziegler, Kwon Jin
- Dyson vows to enhance customer service in Korea
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- German ambassador advocates 'de
- Zyx Technology donates CAD software to Sungkyunkwan University
- Will Blackpink renew contract as group?
- Pianist Kim Jun
- Dreamcatcher returns as 'villains' with special power
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- Beef prices have soared 100
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- [Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- US strategic bomber B
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- [Today’s K