FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
简介The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued ...
The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued management advisories to the National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives after losing approximately 50.1 billion won ($37.5 million) it poured into an alternative high-yield overseas investment, as revealed by industry sources on Sunday.
The NFFC, the umbrella organization for regional fishers' cooperatives throughout the country, reportedly lost the entire principal amount of its investment without taking any further action, raising concerns over the federation's investment and risk assessment practices.
Upon evaluation, the FSS issued to the NFFC advisories concerning nine matters requiring caution and five matters needing improvement to bolster the federation’s due diligence procedures for foreign investments.
In 2018, the NFFC made an overseas investment valued at $40 million dollars. By 2021, due to borrower defaults, NFFC saw impairment losses of $21.3 million in 2020 and an additional $16.5 million in 2021.
Thus, the NFFC recorded the entire 50.1 billion won investment as a loss.
The FSS highlighted NFFC's shortcomings in risk assessment, noting issues like an inappropriate loan-to-value ratio and the absence of documents verifying business progress. The regulator emphasized that the NFFC lacked accountability and measures to prevent recurrence following the failed investment.
In addition to the investment advisories, the FSS suggested improvements in the cooperative federation's risk management, particularly addressing sudden cash outflows and asset-liability mismatches.
The FSS also criticized the categorizing of nine NFFC cooperative loans for solar power projects as "normal" although construction had been stopped.
The FSS further reprimanded the NFFC for its internal controls. Although in 2014, the FSS had recommended a compulsory leave system that requires that key employees be granted leaves of up to five days during audits to detect financial discrepancies, the NFSC hasn't ordered such leaves.
"I always drink iced Americano, even in winter," said Kim, an office worker in her 30s who identifie ...
North Korea threatened Friday to stage the "most powerful and rapid first strike" against US strateg ...
Jennie of Blackpink debuted on UK's biggest singles chart with "You & Me."According to the late ...
American investigated for ‘teeth grinding’ graffiti across Yongsan
SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
"당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- Hyundai looks to repeat late founder’s Mideast success with EVs, hydrogen
- [Today’s K
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- S. Korea to complete LSD vaccinations by early Nov.: ministry
- 이재명, 여·야·정 3자 회동 제안…"바지사장 아닌 尹 직접 나서야"
- Seoul shares snap 3
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi
- Hyundai Motor to build 1st car plant in Saudi Arabia, leading 46 Korea
- Partial list of artists to perform at 2023 MAMA Awards unveiled
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- Speculation grows over Yoon's looming Cabinet shakeup
- Female Nexon employee berates 'misandrist gesture' in MapleStory video
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- S. Korea, AIIB discuss stronger partnership, new investment chances
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
- [KH explains] Hyundai to sell vehicles on Amazon in US sales push
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- [Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor
- 尹, 과학기술자문회의와 오찬 “예타 간소화·예산집행 유연화 필요”
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- [Bills in Focus] Windfall tax on banks and urban infra refurbishment
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- First lady explains S. Korea's dog meat ban plan to Queen Camilla
- Korea to start hiring E
- Two dead in Gyeongju construction site collapse
- 김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- Yoon replaces spy agency leadership